Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Roses, Roses... On to third grade we go!

Roses, roses?  Yes, this morning as we were waiting for my son's bus on his last day of second grade, he was so excited to give his bus driver her thank you card. I surprised him by bringing out the scissors and letting him pick which of our roses he wanted to cut and bring for her and his teachers.  It was as if I gave him a key to the candy store or toy store.. He could not have been more excited!  With fresh cut roses and other flowers in hand we marched back around to the front of the house where he stood for the next 3 minutes with them tightly tucked behind his back (which meant he couldn't sign! so it made for a very quiet 3 mins and that NEVER happens with him.... So now I know how to keep him quiet next time! ha). 
As the bus approached he walked with a grin from ear to ear and mounted the steps.  As he reached the top, instead of giving her the flowers and card he quickly turned on his heels and walked backwards to his seat so she couldn't see the flowers.  He put everything else on his seat and walked back up front to give them to her.  He rides a small bus because we are out of district and so the walk was not very far- but he must have felt like it was the red carpet as he walked to honor his "pretty" bus driver.... Yes, that is what he wrote in her thank you card.  His driver is likely in her 50's or 60's and I can only imagine how her heart will glow when she reads that coming from a sweet 8 year old boy who gave her fresh picked roses! 

I have to tell you that I LOVE that my kids LOVE people.  I LOVE people and that is what I always hoped would be my legacy.... That I loved people and did what I could to make them smile, laugh, and feel loved.  That has been my calling for as long as I can remember.  God sent the perfect kids for me because they just LOVE to love people and that makes me feel more blessed than I know how to express. 

Even though he marched on that bus for the last time as a second grader, this morning he was not too big to throw his arms up in the air and ask me to hold him.  I sat on the edge of his bed with him clinging to me tightly in a sweet (and tight!) hug and just prayed he would keep walking God's path for him.  He is still my little boy even though he is now a big bad third grader!


Last day of second grade.  June 13, 2012


Waiting with flowers behind his back for the bus driver :)


1 comment: